Thursday, February 21, 2008

Red Dragon Fruit / Pitaya / Huo Long Guo

red dragon fruit
The pitaya which is also known as pitahaya, dragon fruit, huǒ lóng guǒ - 火龍果/火龙果 lit. 'fire dragon fruit', strawberry pear, nanettikafruit, or thanh long is the fruit of several cactus species, especially of the genus Hylocereus, but also see Stenocereus. Native to Mexico and Central and South America, these vine-like epiphytic cacti are also cultivated in Southeast Asian countries such as Vietnam, the Philippines, and Malaysia. They are also found in Taiwan, Okinawa, Israel, and southern China. The pitaya blooms only at night; they are large white fragrant flowers, typical of cactus, that are often called Moonflower or Queen of the Night.

From dictionary.com

red dragon fruit

I've been saying that I don't like to eat dragon fruit previously and even avoided drinking the dragon fruit juice after going all the way to the dragon fruit farm because the one and only time I tasted dragon fruit it doesn't appeal to my tastebud at all. This time round I should retract my stand for a bit: I actually don't mind the fruit after tasting it this time round, many thanks to my sister's persistence that I should eat some fruit, because I was down with some illness and could do good with the nice colour of the fruit.

red dragon fruit

The easiest way to eat this fruit is just to cut them into halves and scoop the flesh with spoon. Of course, if you are serving it, you can try cutting them into squares and dig them out with spoon like what I did with the mangoes. Careful with the juice though, they stain easily.

2 comments:

  1. Hi I was reading your blog and am wondering if you have the contact number and address for Tai Chong Restaurant in Teluk Intan?
    Would be driving down this SUnday and like to visit this restaurant.
    Thanks
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I don't have their contacts. Their main customers are walk ins, so if you are not a big crowd they can surely fit you in.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending some time to let me know who you are, and what you think. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Hope to see you again soon and have a wonderful day. Cheers.